7.13.2011

Picking Strawberries And Eating Lobsta Rolls In Cape Elizabeth

After spending the morning walking around Old Port and lunching at Duckfat, we were all a little tired, so we retreated to the hotel room to rest for a few minutes. Once we recuperated, we decided to head to Cape Elizabeth, Maine.


Cape Elizabeth is about 10 minutes away from Portland and is known for its two lighthouses. We ventured out to check out the lighthouses... and admittedly, I had an ulterior motive: to find lobster rolls. (Thanks, Elizabeth!)

As we were heading in the direction of the lighthouses, we saw signs for strawberry picking and thought it would be a good idea to buy some strawberries to snack on. We had no intention of stopping to pick berries, but when we got to Maxwell's Farm, we suddenly decided to do some spontaneous strawberry picking.

Strawberry picking at Maxwell's Farm Strawberry picking at Maxwell's Farm

The strawberries were ripe and abundant, and we filled a box in no time. (You may have already seen the strawberry cupcakes I made when I got these sweet, juicy berries home.)

Strawberry picking at Maxwell's Farm

Strawberry picking at Maxwell's Farm

We loaded our berries into the car, which instantly began to smell of ripe, summer strawberries, and continued on our adventure.

We soon arrived at The Lobster Shack at Two Lights.

The Lobster Shack at Two Lights, Cape Elizabeth, Maine

The views just from the parking lot were stunning, and the weather was perfect.



We wandered up the stairs to The Lobster Shack and ordered yet another "snack."

The Lobster Shack at Two Lights, Cape Elizabeth, Maine

You should know that I grew up in Connecticut with Connecticut-style lobster rolls, so as much as I love lobster rolls, if the lobster is tossed with mayo, I pass. When we got up to the counter, I asked if the lobster rolls were mayo-based, and the girl taking our order told me it could come with a dollop of mayo on top or a side of drawn butter but that the lobster was plain. Score! There's nothing like a hot, buttery lobster roll... or lobsta roll.


We sat outside at one of the picnic tables and waited for our order to be called.


There are even great views to check out while you eat.


Within a few minutes, we got our food. The lobster rolls were on the small side but filled with a decent amount of lobster. We thought it was odd that they came with pickles on top. I ate my pickles first and then ate the roll, dipping each bite in butter.

Lobster rolls at The Lobster Shack at Two Lights, Cape Elizabeth, Maine

If you have a chance to get to The Lobster Shack at Two Lights, it's definitely a beautiful spot with some tasty lobsta rolls.

Lobster Shack on Urbanspoon

After our snack, I sat on the rocks for a bit to relax in the sunshine and take in more of the gorgeous scenery.



Then we drove over to Fort Williams Park to see the other lighthouse before we headed back to Portland.


Lobster roll -- butter or mayo?

15 comments:

  1. I so wish I knew about the strawberries when I was there! Such an awesome detour. I'm glad you liked it so much! And that you could get it sans mayo. I did think the gob of mayo on Dave's lobsta roll was less than appealing. I totally have to check out Fort Williams Park next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those strawberries look beautiful! And they were awesome in those mini strawberry cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you guys spontaneously went strawberry picking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I want that lobster roll right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spontaneous strawberry picking is such a fun thing to do! you guys definitely have some great memories of this trip. I like my lobsta rolls both ways! PS when are we going to Neptune!!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with you on the lobster rolls - why kill it with mayo!! Your strawberries look delicious - pretty perfect day in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  7. no lobster roll for me, but i totally wish i had gotten strawberry picking this year!! oh well, there's always next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had a lobster roll yet this season and now feel that I need one immediately! I've never dipped in butter but sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh now I'm totally craving a lobster roll. Not that that's anything new! I've never dipped mine in melted butter before... that might have to change ASAP!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  10. Freshly picked strawberries are THE best.

    Mmmm lobster rolls... those look like they are served my favorite way, without mayo and on a hotdog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love their lobster rolls - we stopped there Sunday after a day at the beach. I like it both ways, but we had the dollop of mayo and most of it we didn't use. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm Lobster :) I need some, stat! I mean I don't think Ive had any this month haha. Those strawberries look gorgeous! This is totally what I do on trips like this too.. "snack" as much as possible haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an awesome adventure. the strawberries look beyond sweet and juicy, and I wish I could reach into the computer and grab that lobster roll!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that sounds like the perfect weekend to me! I'm so jealous that you got to pick strawberries. I wanted to go this year, but the season totally passed me by!! It's so fleeting!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the lighthouse pictures!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.