8.18.2009

Mini Peanut Butter Cookie Cupcakes With Chocolate Chips


What's better than peanut butter cupcakes? Well, for starters, peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate. And then for good measure, miniature peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate. In my opinion the best desserts are small and chocolate-laden.

As you know from seeing my ladybug cupcakes, I recently bought Martha Stewart's Cupcakes. Every time I flip through the book, I am tempted to make something. These peanut butter cookie cupcakes caught my eye because I wasn't quite in the mood for a cupcake, but the idea of cookie cupcakes intrigued me. A nice cross between a cookie and a cupcake, they came out a bit more dense than normal cupcakes.


The cupcakes are modeled after those peanut butter cookies we've all seen, had, or made in our lives -- the ones with the fork marks on top. I thought they looked adorable.


You can find the recipe on Martha's Web site, but she did forget one very important ingredient, so toss in a couple handfuls of chocolate chips after you mix in the sour cream. I used semisweet, but I'm sure milk chocolate or even bittersweet would be delicious as well.

And if you want to go real crazy, make minis instead of regular size muffins. And while you're thinking mini, tossing some mini chips on top of your frosted cookies (un-fork-marked ones) is quite delicious and looks really good too.


I actually did these cupcakes three ways: some frosted with the fork marks, some frosted with the mini chips, and some unfrosted.



All went over really well with the boyfriends' softball team and with my coworkers, as well as with the two of us. I mean really, can anyone resist the combination of peanut butter and chocolate in a nice bite-size portion?

Oh, and if you're a milk drinker, have a glass ready to go with these. The frosting is quite sticky!

27 comments:

Sara said...

Wow, these look delicious!

Gaby said...

I just licked my screen - these are amazing

The Duo Dishes said...

All you need to go with them is a little milk!

Chow and Chatter said...

yummy

Kat said...

I like the fork marks on top! I love peanut butter and chocolate. I want you to know you inspired me with the cupcake thing... you will laugh when you read my upcoming post venturing into cupcake land. Let's just say I had a brief visit :). Hopefully will get caught up posting this week.

Megan said...

Thanks, guys!

Kat - So happy I inspired you! Can't wait to read your cupcake post.

Erika said...

These look so good! I love peanut butter and chocolate combinations!

brandi said...

i love the ones with the crossmarks like pb cookies :) so cute!

Glamorous Beauty said...

Looks amazing, I love the fork marks on the cupcakes and the ones with chocolate chips are also very pretty. I've been planning on making some peanut butter cookies, but haven't gotten around to it. Your recipe is motivation for me to get to baking. I too use to eat peanut butter cookies all the time as a kid.

Miss High Heels said...

These look great! I like how you didn't simply frost every cupcake the same, a bit of variety always creates interest.

claire said...

I love peanut butter + chocolate! Don't you love Martha's cupcake book? =)

the ungourmet said...

These are darling! I love the frosting with the fork marks! 0)

Nicole (dishin') said...

Oh how I love PB and chocolate! These are so cute.

Chef Fresco said...

PB & chocolate are the best, I must say!

Kerstin said...

The fork marks on the top are so super cute! They look like the perfect PB and chocolate cupcakes!

Z said...

Now you just need ones with a single Hershey kiss in the middle.

Justin said...

the forks marks... such a cute idea

nora@ffr said...

These are so pretty! What a sweet treat! yummm!!!

Lele said...

My best friend and I make peanut butter cupcakes together ALL THE TIME, and then argue about which topping is better: chocolate ganache (her favorite) or mixed berry jam (my fave)!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

Bite-sized portions are SO wonderful (and SO dangerous -- ha!)

These are adorable and look so yummy! MMmm!!

megan said...

you can't go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate! My husband, however, doesn't like peanut butter in cookies! How crazy is that? I think I might find out if he likes peanut butter cupcakes in the near future... :)

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full said...

Just stumbled across your blog and am drooling over those cupcakes! Peanut butter anything is the best!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

Ooooh gorgeous!! I want one!

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Just found your wonderful blog. Love this flavor combination!!

Lisa said...

Megan..peanut butter and chocolate totally slays me, and tnese look magnificent! Speaking of a cookie cupcake, I actually saw one where a chewy peanut butter cookie was on top, between chocolate and peanut butter ganache. I have to try and recreate it!

Finally, yes, the berries and buttermilk pudding recipe is probably from Bon Appetit or Gourmet, since I got it off of Epicurious.com :)

Miss High Heels said...

These look great! I like how you didn't simply frost every cupcake the same, a bit of variety always creates interest.

claire said...

I love peanut butter + chocolate! Don't you love Martha's cupcake book? =)