7.12.2011

Portland Eats: Standard Baking Co. And Duckfat


As I mentioned yesterday, I got up super early to try out Standard Baking Co. on our short stay in Portland, Maine. And by super early, I mean I was up at 6:30 a.m., showered, dressed, and waking up my mom by 7. I don't even get up that early for work!


We wandered down the street to the bakery and stood in a very short line, which gave us just enough time to check out the offerings and decide what we wanted to get.



While all the bread looked gorgeous, I waited until Saturday morning to get some of it to bring home. This particular morning was all about the breakfast pastries.


We got a croissant, a chocolate croissant, a ham and cheese croissant, a raisin pecan roll, a French roll, and a blueberry scone and brought them back to the hotel room to eat.


The croissant and chocolate croissant were my favorites. They were so buttery and flaky. The ham and cheese croissant was a little smoky, but I really liked the sesame seeds on top. The blueberry scone was moist and chock-full of berries, and the raisin pecan roll was really good as well. We got the French roll for my sister Martyann, so I didn't end up trying any of it. But we got French baguettes the next morning, and those were so crusty and delicious, and I brought a country boule home and made egg sandwiches for Jeff and me on slices of it.

Besides breads and breakfast pastries, we also saw bags of cookies and biscotti and sampled an oatmeal raisin cookie while we were there. And they serve coffee as well. Standard Baking Co. is definitely a must-try if you love croissants and fresh bread.

Standard Baking Co on Urbanspoon

...


My whole plan for us in Portland was to fit in as much eating as possible, which meant that we didn't necessarily have to have whole meals anywhere; hence, just some pastries for breakfast. Sticking with this plan, we went to Duckfat for a snack, which definitely ended up being filling enough to count for lunch.


Duckfat is known for its Belgian-style fries, fried in, you guessed it: duck fat! Clearly, that's why we had to go there.


We started with drinks. My mom tried the house made Maine blueberry lemongrass ginger ale, I got a grapefruit-ginger soda, and Lindsay tried a chocolate shake. Duckfat is also known for its shakes.

I loved that our drinks were served in Ball jars.


We ended up ordering a large cone of fries with ketchup and truffle ketchup, a small order of poutine, and a BGT to split.

The fries alone were worth the trip.


And the dipping sauces were beyond adorable, served in these little jars, not to mention delicious. I loved the truffle ketchup.


The poutine was amazing. Duckfat's house fries get topped with house made duck gravy and Pineland Farms cheese curd. I did see a little goodnatured fighting over the gooey cheese.


The BGT we probably could have done without. It's a bacon, goat cheese, and tomato sandwich on flatbread. The bacon was a little underdone for my liking, and we all decided the sandwich would be better with some greens or just a little something else to it.


Sticking with our plan to just snack and not eat too much in one place, we, of course, ordered dessert. The beignets were calling out to us, so we got an order of them topped with chocolate sauce.


They were very light and lemony but had a bitter aftertaste... to the point that we thought we were eating the pith of the lemon. They were good in theory, but the lemon just needed to be toned down a touch.

Final verdict: We'll definitely be back for more poutine and Belgian fries.


Duck Fat on Urbanspoon

Have you ever been to Standard Baking Co. or Duckfat? What did you think?

24 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow, we've lived here for over a year and have never been to Standard Baking Co. - we'll definitely have to go this weekend! We frequent a cafe around the corner that gets their sandwich bialys from there and they are delicious.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I've been to both places and LOVED them! I still haven't tried a shake at Duckfat though!

Joanne said...

In my opinion, the whole point of traveling is to eat as much as possible, so I love the way you think! those pastries sound like the perfect way to start off a day of good eats!

freefoodboston said...

Yayyy! I'm going to yay every one of your Portland posts. I don't think I've ever tried croissants from Standard. Or scones for that matter. Those drinks at Duckfat look awesome. Never noticed those!

A Thought For Food said...

I'm SO SO ashamed to say that I have never been to Portland. I've heard so many wonderful things and this is yet another example of the amazing culinary experience one can have there.

Jen said...

We loved the fries at Duckfat as well. So good! Can't wait to hear what else you ate there.

meghan said...

Duckfat is so good! We only went for beers and fries, but I felt like we could have stayed there for a long time!

Daisy said...

I can't tell you how much I have heard about Duckfat since joining the blog world. I need to try their poutine to compare with Saus. ;)

Clarice said...

Whenever I mention Portland, my husband says, "Oooh can we go to Duckfat? I just love that place." My favorite part is the truffle ketchup.

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

This looks like a blast... Idea: what about a blogger food tour of Portsmouth?! Similarly yummy but closer!

Jennifurla said...

It is almost lunch time hear, now my tummy is growling

Michelle Collins said...

Both of these places look adorable, and the food looks incredible! I love Portland!

Sara said...

So as I think I mentioned I just realized how close Portland is (so close that it might even be doable with my kids!). I am really dying to go now. I just got on Rabelais's mailing list a few months ago, and have heard of all the great food there. Standard Baking Co. looks like heaven and you have to love a place named duckfat. I have never been to Portland but I'm more anxious than ever. And you've done all the planning for me, thanks!

Lizzy said...

I love Duckfat!!! Went there over the winter. So good! Can;t wait to get up there next month!!! Portland is definitely one of my favorite places.

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

Love Portland! i will be going Labor Day weekend for my bff's wedding.... yes another one lol. that place looks too cute and yummy.

Taryn said...

You have impeccable taste in Portland eateries! I will be copying this little trip to a T when I head up there later this month - it's all so delicious!

jessie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jessie said...

I went to Duckfat two summers ago during a July 4 holiday and have not forgotten it since! Am reminiscing the duck fattiness through your post- thanks Meghan!

Melissa said...

Duck Fat is a must for me this summer. The fries look incredible.

sweetpeaskitchen.com said...

Wow! Looks like you two had a great time! I have never been to Maine...Looks like I should go just for the hocolate croissants alone! ;)

Bridget said...

LOVE Portland :) I've never been to Duckfat...it's on my list though. I did, however, make sure to hit Standard Baking twice in 3 days last time I was there haha. I tried a choc croissant and a ham and cheese croissant and loved them both :)

Um, I noiced Emily's comment about a blogger food tour of Portsmouth...I am totally inviting myself if that happens. Portsmouth is like my home away from home :)

Alicia said...

those pastries sound amazing!! I'm totally in for a blogger food tour of Portsmouth!

jude said...

Next time be sure to get the financiers at Standard Baking Co. - they are absolutely wonderful!

Mark said...

When you're in Portland you should try Two Fat Cats Bakery and Caiola's Restaurant too! They're incredible