11.30.2011

Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal With Greek Yogurt


When it comes to breakfast, I'm most likely to get excited about egg dishes, like eggs Benedict, interesting takes on eggs Benedict, veggie-laden omelets, and egg sandwiches on soft rolls. I rarely get excited about things like oatmeal. And I won't even claim that this particular oatmeal recipe is going on my favorite breakfast dishes list. But I will say that it is flavorful, warming, and filling -- and that's just what I need in the morning before embarking on my 45-minute-plus walk/T-ride to work.


I'd been eating toast with avocado slices or bagels with cream cheese until I made this oatmeal. My other breakfasts would have my stomach grumbling shortly after I arrived at work, but the oatmeal keeps my stomach quiet until almost 11. That's when I dig into a granola bar, homemade granola, or something similar for my second breakfast. (And usually shortly after that there are tons of tastings in the kitchen -- which equals lots of stuff to keep me full for the rest of the day.)

I first read about this baked oatmeal on The Clean Plate Club and followed Alicia's link back to the kitchn, where I found the original recipe. I modified the recipe slightly, mainly subbing Silk for milk and serving the sweet, spicy oatmeal with tangy Greek yogurt. (The Greek yogurt packs some extra protein.)


The recipe is fairly hands-off, especially for steel-cut oats, which were pretty much my nemesis when I worked at Flour. (I can't tell you how hard it is to bake cupcakes, prepare tarts, and finish cakes while constantly running over to the stove to stir oatmeal.) It requires a little mixing on the stove and then goes in the oven for about a half-hour. After that, you can let it cool, store it in the fridge, and simply microwave a serving each morning.



Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal With Greek Yogurt (adapted from Not Your Mother's Casseroles via the kitchn)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups Silk Vanilla Soymilk
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
Greek yogurt
Maple syrup

Preparation

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Stir in the oats, and fry them, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes, until they look and smell toasty.


Create a well in the center of the oats and drop the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the well. Add the pumpkin puree, and fry it in the butter, stirring after about 1 minute.


Stir in sugar and spices, and fry for another 3 to 4 minutes, until puree darkens sightly.


Stir in soymilk, water, vanilla, and salt.


Cover pot, transfer to oven, and bake for 35 minutes.

Remove pan, uncover carefully, and stir oatmeal. Oatmeal will look loose, but it will thicken as it cools.



Serve warm, or let cool, refrigerate, and reheat in microwave. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.


It's not nearly as good as pumpkin pie, but it does make for a hearty breakfast. And I suppose it's more acceptable to eat oatmeal for breakfast.

After making this baked oatmeal, I am interested in finding other baked oatmeal recipes to simplify my mornings. If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

17 comments:

  1. This definitely looks like a breakfast that would warm even the coldest winter mornings! I overdid it on oatmeal in years past, but once in awhile I love baked oatmeal with lots of apples and dried fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be an oatmeal-for-breakfast kinda gal, but lately I've made the switch to eggs. Maybe it's time to switch back again for this? Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love recipes like this! I make a short cut version with pumpkin butter and spices (using the microwave to assist) but this version looks so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FunandFearlessinBeantownNovember 30, 2011 8:37 AM

    Resisting sarcastic oatmeal comment....no seriously, this looks really warm and hearty. I can definitely see how this makes a filling breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like the perfect breakfast for those cold mornings that are bound to come sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks so warm and filling. definitely a good start to your day, to prepare you for the walk to the T and the subsequent T shenanigans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I love me some oatmeal! I've never tried baked oatmeal before though so this is definitely going on my to-do list this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding this to the menu first thing when i get back to my kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pumpkin oatmeal this time of year! I have to try it with the greek yogurt! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super healthy and a perfect breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds heavenly. and what perfect little quenelle of greek yogurt! Looks like whipped cream :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've still never made baked oatmeal of any sort, but this looks pretty delicious, especially with the pumpkin. I also love the idea of greek yogurt on top.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my lactose intolerant person's dream because I eat oatmeal every morning and love pumpkin pie and I am so sick of the instant kind!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this today. IT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! Do you have any thoughts as to what is a serving size, and the calories? Or perhaps an exchange, ie 1 bread? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is really great with Greek yogurt, as the yogurt counterbalances with the sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you enjoyed it! I have no idea about serving size. Sorry. I just scooped however much I wanted in a bowl and dug in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's ok. I served myself pretty much what your picture shows. I'm interested to see how long it "holds me" before I get hungry. I'm transitioning in my weight loss program, and I am v. happy to find such a delicious filling breakfast choice.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.