7.06.2012

Willow Tree Chicken Pie


Willow Tree recently sent me a coupon to try one of their chicken pies. After doing a little research, I learned that their retail store is just a couple towns away from us in Attleboro, Mass. So one afternoon, Jeff and I drove over to check it out and pick up the pie. The store carries the chicken pies as well as offers hot food items, cold cuts, and chicken salad. While it was nice to check out the retail store, it's not necessary to go there to get a Willow Tree Chicken Pie. They're sold in numerous grocery stores.

We deliberated over whether to get all white meat chicken, white meat chicken with vegetables, or white meat chicken with Red Bliss potatoes. Jeff wanted all chicken; I wanted vegetables. The pie with Red Bliss potatoes was the happy medium.


We got our pie home and tucked it in the freezer, where it waited until we had a lazy evening and decided to just pop it in the oven. The pies get baked from frozen but take a little longer than an hour, so they're good for a hands-off dinner, but they do require a little advance planning.


 Once the crust was golden brown and the gravy started bubbling out of the pie, I knew it was ready.


I made some green beans to eat along with the pie and shared it with Jeff and his dad. We were all impressed with the hefty, moist chunks of white meat chicken and the flaky crust. The Red Bliss potatoes were soft and creamy. (I often worry about frozen potatoes having a weird consistency, but these were just right.) The gravy tying the whole pie together was well seasoned; we had the salt and pepper shakers out but didn't even need to use them.


If you're looking for an easy meal option (and some tasty comfort food), this chicken pie is the way to go.

Willow Tree sent me a coupon for a complimentary chicken pie, but as always, my opinions are my own.

Have you tried Willow Tree Chicken Pies?

13 comments:

  1. Frozen potatoes have always acquired a spongey consistency in my experience, so that is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FunandfearlessinbeantownJuly 06, 2012 7:55 AM

    I was also really pleasantly surprised with how delicious Willow Tree chicken pies are. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! P.S. I think you're out of town (???) but I will be in your neck of the woods on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily @ A Cambridge StoryJuly 06, 2012 8:07 AM

    I'm sure these quick and easy meals come in handy living with the in-laws. That crust looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy to try one, too! I wish I could have driven to the farm, that sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect for when you're craving comfort food but don't want to slave over your stove in this heat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmm! I have the coupons for these pot pies in my purse, just this hot weather lately has not really put me in the mood for this yet. But they look so good I just might need to suck it up, crank the AC, and have our chicken pot pie night :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boyfriend is absolutely obsessed with chicken pot pie, but insists none can even come close to how wonderful his mom's is. I think we need to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. food photographyJuly 17, 2012 2:39 AM

    What a wonderful pics of willow tree chicken pie you have here.
    we'd like to invite you to submit your food photos on a Food Photography site so our readers can enjoy your creations.It is absolutely free and fun to make others hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have purchased these pies for many years. I had one last night that was almost inedible. The crust would not brown, the chicken was so tough and there was almost no
    gravy. It was very thick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear that. You may want to share your feedback with the company.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're on the money Time! I've been bitching about this for a few years now. Willow tree swears they haven't changed the recipe, but my eyes and taste buds know better. 5-8yrs ago the gravy was more yellow and thinner, and the chicken was half a breast chunks instead of shredded or chopped. I think it was saltier too.
    If anyone has the original gravy recipe please let me know, I NEED my original willow tree chicken pies.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.