2.11.2010

Mixed Berry Sherbet


I know, I know... it's the middle of winter, and here I am with yet another frozen dessert recipe. I guess my ice cream maker just inspires me. This sherbet actually came about because I was making chocolate cupcakes from Cook's Illustrated, and I happened to turn the page and see a recipe for raspberry sherbet. My boyfriend loves sherbet -- maybe more than ice cream. I don't really get it; I like sherbet, but I'd rather have a brownie sundae!

But being the thoughtful girlfriend I am, I decided to whip up a batch of sherbet because it looked super easy (and well, because my boyfriend deserves something nice for all the putting up with me he does!).

We actually had all the necessary ingredients on hand, including a bag of frozen mixed berries that had been hanging out in the freezer for too long now. They were originally intended to go in post-gym smoothies, but considering how badly we've been doing at sticking to our plan of going to the gym, the berries were just sitting there waiting for some other purpose. Sherbet is kind of like a smoothie, right?

Mixed Berry Sherbet (adapted from a recipe for fresh raspberry sherbet from Entertaining from Cook's Illustrated)

Ingredients

1 12-ounce bag frozen mixed berries
3/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon table salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice from 1 to 2 lemons
2 teaspoons vodka
2/3 cup heavy cream

Preparation

Combine berries, water, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and, stirring occasionally, bring just to a simmer over medium heat.

Strain mixture, reserving liquid in a bowl. Discard the berries. Add lemon juice and vodka to liquids, and then place bowl in freezer for about 30 minutes, until liquid is cold but not frozen.

In bowl of electric mixer, whip cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add fruit liquid while whisking.

Pour mixture in ice cream maker, and follow manufacturer's directions.

Transfer sherbet to another container, and freeze for at least 3 hours. (If you don't mind eating your sherbet on the soft side, you can try some right away too!) Serve with fresh berries, if desired.

 

Being that this sherbet is pink, it's another fantastic idea for Valentine's Day!

What's your favorite sherbet flavor? I'd probably be happiest with something like a raspberry creamsicle -- raspberry sherbet and vanilla ice cream!