4.01.2010

Coconut Creme-Kissed Chewy Chocolate Cookies


Have you tried Hershey's Coconut Creme Kisses? They are my absolute favorite of all the seasonal Kisses. Their light, creamy coconut filling just screams spring. Speaking of -- I am so happy it's April! I'm looking forward to getting through all these showers and seeing some sunshine. We already went to storage last week and switched out all our heavy winter coats, sweaters, and boots for flip-flops and lighter layers. I'm longingly eyeing the capris, skirts, and dresses hanging in the closet and looking forward to the days I can wear them. Are you ready for warmer, sunnier days?


But back to these Kisses... about three years ago, my old roommate and I made chocolate chip cookies using the Coconut Creme Kisses instead of chips. They were spectacular! Each spring since then I have searched for the Kisses but have not been able to find them. I figured Hershey's decided not to make them anymore... until the other day when I was picking up some other Easter candy at Target. I caught a glimpse of the bright blue bag and did a little jump for joy in the aisle. I may have even cheered out loud. I immediately snatched up two bags and knew that I'd be making cookies with the Kisses, as well as just eating them.


But this time, instead of chocolate chip cookie dough, I was craving a fudgy chocolate cookie with waves of coconut throughout. After checking out a couple of chocolate cookie recipes, I went with Dorie Greenspan's Chocolate Chunkers for the base of this recipe. I had made the Chocolate Chunkers a while ago and really liked the rich chocolate flavor and the incredible chewy texture. I hoped the cookie dough would pair well with the Coconut Creme Kisses.


I went through the recipe making some additions and subtractions and came up with what I thought would work well.


And I have to say I think I did a good job because these cookies were just luscious!


Coconut Creme-Kissed Chewy Chocolate Cookies (adapted from Baking From My Home To Yours)
(Print this recipe)

Ingredients

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
10-ounce package Hershey's Coconut Creme Kisses, frozen



Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.

Place butter, bittersweet chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute or until chocolate is melted. Stir to combine, and set aside to cool.

In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder.

In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes, until they are pale and foamy. Add the vanilla, and then scrape down the bowl. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the melted butter and chocolate, mixing only until incorporated. Scrape down the bowl again, and then add the dry ingredients. Mix on low speed just until the dry ingredients disappear into the dough, which will be thick, smooth, and shiny.


Unwrap and chop Hershey's Coconut Creme Kisses.


Add to mixing bowl, and mix on low speed, just until Kisses pieces are dispersed.


Using a small scoop (two teaspoon capacity), place mounds of cookie dough about 1-inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.


Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 7 to 8 minutes.


Let cool in pan on wire rack for 1 minute and then transfer cookies onto rack to cool completely (or eat them warm).


Makes 48 to 50 2-inch diameter cookies (depending how much dough you eat prior to baking the cookies)

What are your favorite seasonal Hershey's Kisses?