10.01.2010

What's Up In October

Pumpkins, pumpkins, pumpkins! That's all I think about when October hits. How about you?

Wee-Bee Littles at Wilson Farm

Jack-Bee Littles at Wilson Farm

October is shaping up to be just as fun-filled and food-filled as September.

October 2 -- Boston Local Food Festival
The Boston Local Food Festival is a celebration of our locally grown food. It's meant to increase awareness and accessibility of the local food system. Festival goers will have the opportunity to speak with farmers and local entrepreneurs, sample local foods, and learn about nutrition and urban food initiatives, among other things. I'm looking forward to the sampling... and the learning.

October 3-5 -- Chefs Collaborative National Summit
This year's Chefs Collaborative National Summit is being held right here in Boston (well, technically Charlestown). There will be sessions on local food and sustainability, and I'm especially interested in attending the session on food media. Featured speakers include Jane Black and Francis Lam.

October 8-11 -- Columbus Day Weekend on the Cape
I've spent every Columbus Day weekend on Cape Cod with my family for more years than I can remember now. My mom brings Halloween candy, in recent years I've brought baked goods, and we all play lots of board games and go for walks on the uncrowded beaches, catch up on books we've wanted to read, and enjoy each other's company. It's a fabulous time to be on the Cape.

October 11 -- Meeting Olga of Mango & Tomato
One of my favorite non-local bloggers will be in town for the weekend, and we're getting together for dinner at Toro!

October 13 -- A Book Launch Party
This will be my first book launch party ever! And it is for a book that is near and dear to my heart. I'm so excited to tell you about it.

October 15 -- Blogger Dinner
I'll finally get to meet Bianca of Confessions of a Chocoholic at a dinner she's planning at Mistral.

October 16 & 17 -- Wellfleet OysterFest
I may or may not get back to the Cape for the Wellfleet OysterFest, but it's a really fun event, so if you live close enough, I recommend making the trek to Wellfleet for it. There are cooking demos, oyster shucking demos, local artisans selling their art, and lots of food.

October 17 -- Farmers Market Tour and Cooking Class
I'll be touring the Charles Square Farmers Market in Cambridge and then taking a class at the Cambridge Center for Adult Education. I don't have any more details than that yet, but it sure sounds like a blast!

October 21 -- Jeff's Birthday
Someone is turning the big 4-0! I think I'm going to bake some kind of cake, so you'll get to read all about that.

October 23 -- Black Crowes at House of Blues
A big group of us are going to the Black Crowes concert. I've never seen any shows at the House of Blues before, so I'm excited to check it out.

October 31 -- Halloween
Halloween might just be my least favorite holiday. It was fun when I was a kid, but I just don't get into dressing up anymore. Do you like Halloween?


And a quick note on eggs... During the fall of 2010, Eggland’s Best will display the Komen for the Cure’s running ribbon logo (along with a pink version of the “EB” stamp) on all egg varieties and will donate $50,000 to support Susan G. Komen for the Cure in its promise to save lives and end breast cancer forever. Keep an eye out for these specially marked eggs at your local grocery store. Check out this post to see more benefits to buying EB eggs.