3.16.2009

Book A Day: Garlic and Sapphires


Ruth Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise is an incredibly funny and interesting read. I originally picked it up because two of my favorite things are in the title: garlic (who doesn't love it?) and sapphires (my birthstone), but beyond that and the knowledge that the book was written by Reichl, I didn't quite know what I was getting into.

Even though Reichl has written other books before Garlic and Sapphires, it was the first of her books I came across. I enjoyed it so much that I've since read a couple others.

Not only does this book share with you some of Reichl's great disguises she used when she was a restaurant critic, but it gives you a lot of insight into her life, and you can see why she's now at the top of Gourmet's masthead.

The book contains the restaurant reviews she wrote, which I find incredibly interesting, as well as recipes, and of course her story. It's interesting to see how differently she was treated at restaurants depending on how she was dressed. It's a reminder to all of us that one visit to a restaurant does not constitute a comprehensive review. The service can change, the food can change, the amount of food can change.

I can say I definitely would have loved to have been dining with her on the days the restaurants saw through her disguises!

If you have read this book, what did you think?

Remember, I'm away until March 20, so you won't get responses from me until then.