1.20.2012

Slow-Cooker Beef And Tomato Stew With Potatoes


When I made my roasted brussels sprouts, red onion, and yam with quinoa, I knew there was no way I was going to get Jeff to eat it. I'm lucky I've gotten him to eat asparagus and green beans. Brussels sprouts and yams are a long way off, as is quinoa. So I wanted to make him something he'd enjoy that wouldn't require a ton of work on my part since I was making us two different meals.

I found a recipe for beef and tomato stew in Everyday Food, saw that it was a slow-cooker recipe (read: very hands-off), and decided to give it a whirl.

It was the simplest beef stew recipe I'd ever made. There was no searing of the beef, there was no wine, and yet the stew was still immensely flavorful and delicious. About 4 hours after I started the slow cooker, Jeff and I could pick up on scents of stew in the air. It was intoxicating. When the stew was done, the beef was fall-apart tender and richly flavored with tomato and onion.

I threw some rice in the rice cooker when the stew was almost done, and Jeff ate the stew over rice. (I may have snitched a few spoonfuls of stew straight out of the slow cooker.)

And because it was so good and so easy, I ended up making it again a couple weeks later. This time Jeff requested that I add potatoes to the stew and leave out the celery. So here's the new version with potatoes.



Slow-Cooker Beef And Tomato Stew With Potatoes (adapted from Everyday Food, January/February 2012)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced small
4 small carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
3 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (optional)
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, fat trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds baby Yukon Gold potatoes

Preparation

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, if using, and garlic, and sauté, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.


Transfer mixture to slow cooker.


Stir in beef, tomatoes, broth, salt, and pepper.


Cover and cook on high for 6 hours, stirring in potatoes (halved, quartered if large) after 2 1/2 hours.


Serve.


Finding such an easy and tasty slow-cooker recipe was a great way for me to be able to make something that each of us would be happy with. The first stew lasted Jeff most of the week while I ate my quinoa. Since we weren't sharing the same leftovers, our leftovers lasted much longer, and I didn't have to cook again until the end of the week. He took the second stew for lunch the week after I made it. It was easy to pack up and reheated nicely.

By the way, this is exactly how a relationship between a "foodie" and a "non-foodie" can work (...and it doesn't hurt that he does the dishes). Anyone else catch that article?

Do you cook for someone who doesn't like the same things you do? How do you deal with it?

18 comments:

  1. You are such a good GF. I would have sent him to bed without dinner. :P

    The stew looks super comforting though! I can see why he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FunandFearlessinBeantownJanuary 20, 2012 8:42 AM

    I just laughed at Joanne's comment. I think I flagged this recipe too....but haven't made it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily @ A Cambridge StoryJanuary 20, 2012 10:11 AM

    I love the his and hers dinners! I just make Christopher eat what I'm having lol ;) He (and I) would love this stew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got a slow cooker at my shower and I have been dying to break it in! Looks like a perfect cold weather meal...Nick is sometimes a bigger foodie than I am so we dont run into too many problems, but I cannot believe you made a separate meal for him! You are too good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I cook for my family, I have to make a lot of compromises.

    Believe it or not, I actually have never owned or used a slow cooker! I've always done my low and slow cooking in other ways, but everyone loves them and nice looking and easy dishes like that stew are incentive to get on the bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love slow cooked meals like this. They are perfect for snowy days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband grew up in a very meat and potatoes and frozen vegetables kind of household. He's come a long way but he could just be the adventurous type. I've learned that he enjoys quinoa if I cook it in a broth instead of water to give it a flavor boost. You could also try adding nuts or dried fruit and making it into some sort of pilaf. As for Brussels sprouts (which are delicious, by the way) I like to soften some leeks and then toss in the halved sprouts and cook them to the point of toasty brown so the sweetness comes out. Sometimes I shred them and saute them with nuts. It's definitely worth trying, and if he doesn't like it, hey, more for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be so easy if he would at least try things. But he really won't even try it if it looks strange or has a weird name. I ask every time I make something. Dried fruit would just make it worse, and I usually do cook quinoa in broth. Now you see what I'm up against... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. put the word 'slow cooker' in the name of any recipe and i immediately want to make it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dave is totally a foodie but he is stubborn about the few things he doesn't like, so those can get a little frustrating. I loved beef stew back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although Adam he is not as much of a "foodie" as me, he is definitely adventurous, but just has a few staple foods he does not like that annoy me. (hello goat cheese, avocado and tomato!) he would love this beef stew! off to check out that article.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm lucky that Z and I eat all of the same things, but my co-workers and I get together for dinner every so often, and we all have different tastes. It's my turn to cook next week, and I still haven't been able to come up with anything we all will enjoy. It'll be tough, but possible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good stew that's easy to throw together. Glad Jeff enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this looks perfect for a chilly day like today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what perfect winter food! the meat looks so incredibly tender.
    nope, I don't cook for anyone who doesn't like the same things: the benefit of single living ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Apolinaras would love this as well - I should make it for him!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been trying to convince my husband that we need to add a slow cooker to our collection of kitchen "stuff". This may just the dish to get him to agree to it. So easy to make and looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. mayberrywife.blogspot.comAugust 27, 2013 10:05 AM

    I made this and it was very good and extremely tender! Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.