12.20.2012

Chocolate-Peppermint Cookie Bars

Chocolate-peppermint cookie bars

Jeff always says I'm a marketer's dream. Any time I see something new and unusual in the grocery store, I run over and pick it up and check it out to see if it's something I want to buy. So naturally when I saw a bin at Roche Bros. with Andes Candies baking chips, I had to see what they were all about. They had green and brown ones that are crème de menthe flavored like the usual Andes Candies. And they also had red and white peppermint crunch ones. A bag of each somehow ended up in our basket.


A lot of ideas ran through my head for what to do with the baking chips, but with most of my baking supplies and tools still in storage, I went with the simplest of those ideas: cookie bars. I made some chocolate chip cookie bars, threw in the peppermint crunch bits, melted and spread some chocolate chips on top, and sprinkled more peppermint crunch bits over the melted chocolate.

These are a great, sweet holiday treat. They have that nice minty flavor and festive appearance but don't leave you worrying about breaking a tooth on a piece of candy cane.

Chocolate-Peppermint Cookie Bars (adapted from Martha Stewart)

Ingredients

3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips*
1 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 12- by 17-inch rimmed baking sheet.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.

In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars on medium speed until lightly and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.

Add eggs and vanilla, and mix until incorporated.

Reduce mixer speed to low and add in flour mixture. Beat just until combined.

Beat in 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips.

Press dough into prepared baking sheet. Bake, rotating halfway through baking, until top is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

Transfer to wire rack and immediately scatter remaining 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips on top. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes, then spread chocolate over cookie bars using offset spatula.

Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips over melted chocolate and let bars cool completely.

Cut into small squares and serve.

*I used semisweet chips because I had some in the cabinet, but I think these would be awesome with bittersweet chocolate.

Chocolate-peppermint cookie bars

I still need to make something with the crème de menthe baking chips. I'm thinking some sort of brownies.

What would you do with these baking chips?