7.31.2013

Zucchini Hash With Soft-Cooked Eggs

Zucchini hash with soft-cooked eggs

So remember how I told you I already found and picked a zucchini from my garden? I was so excited about it that I had to cook it and eat it right away. I had some boiled potatoes in the fridge and decided to make a zucchini hash and top it with some soft-cooked eggs. With zucchini from my garden, potatoes from Siena Farms, and eggs from Silverbrook Farm, I had a super-local meal that was summery and satisfying. It makes a great breakfast or breakfast for dinner.


Zucchini

Zucchini Hash with Soft-Cooked Eggs

Zucchini hash with soft-cooked eggs

This simple hash of zucchini and potatoes gets taken up a notch with briny feta and soft-cooked eggs.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves 1 or 2

Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
3-4 small red potatoes, boiled in lightly salted water until tender, about 10 minutes, and then diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 tablespoon butter
Kosher salt and pepper
2 tablespoons cubed or crumbled feta
2 or 4 soft-cooked/soft-boiled eggs (cooked and split lengthwise just before serving) (use 2 eggs per serving)

Preparation

Heat oil in medium pan over medium heat.

Diced potatoes and zucchini

Add potatoes and zucchini and cook, covered, until zucchini has softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Uncover, add butter, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until zucchini and potatoes are browned to your liking.

Zucchini hash

Transfer to bowl or divide between two bowls to serve two.

Zucchini hash

Sprinkle feta over hash.

Zucchini hash with feta

Top with eggs, season eggs with salt and pepper, and serve.

Zucchini hash with soft-cooked eggs

What's your favorite zucchini dish? I love it simply sautéed, in a gratin, stuffed, grilled... I could go on.