8.06.2010

Lemon-Caper Swordfish With Lemon-Pepper Pappardelle

Lemon-caper swordfish with lemon-pepper pappardelle

This dish was supposed to have mahi mahi... but my Whole Foods curse struck again. I should just stop trying to pick a type of fish before I get there. No matter what I decide to make -- cod, halibut, haddock, mahi mahi -- the night I go to pick up the particular fish I'm looking for, Whole Foods has just about everything but.

I had to make a game-time substitution and went with swordfish because it, like mahi mahi, is about an inch or more thick, and I thought the flavors I was planning to use would still work.


Lemon-Caper Swordfish With Lemon-Pepper Pappardelle (adapted from Gourmet, April 2006)

Ingredients

1 package lemon-pepper pappardelle (Trader Joe's)
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
3 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons capers (in brine), rinsed, drained, and coarsely chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
About 1 pound swordfish (1 1/2 to 2 inches thick)
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preparation

Prepare pasta according to package instructions. After draining pasta, place in bowl, toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and cover to keep warm. While pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over moderately high heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until golden, about 6 minutes.


Stir in water and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook for about about 1 minute, and then stir in butter until melted. Add in capers and lemon juice. Remove from heat and keep warm, covered.


Preheat broiler. Pat fish dry, then brush all over with remaining tablespoon oil, and sprinkle with salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place swordfish on rack of a broiler pan, and broil about 5 inches from heat until just cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes.


Set some of the pappardelle on each plate, and top the pasta with a piece of swordfish. Garnish the swordfish with the lemon-caper onion mixture, sprinkle with parsley, and serve the dish with extra lemon wedges on the side.

Lemon-caper swordfish with lemon-pepper pappardelle

We had the swordfish dinner with some new sodas we found at Whole Foods. We actually sampled them a few weeks ago, and I loved the blueberry soda, so I knew I'd be back to get it eventually. And Jeff really liked the root beer. They're kind of pricey though ($6.99 for a 4-pack), so they're a special treat! 


And we also had some corn from Allandale Farm. I love all the bright yellow on this plate -- it's so summery!


If you're looking for another lemony, summery recipe, try this one from Meghan at Travel, Wine, and Dine.

And I have a confession to make: I am not a Trader Joe's girl. I used to go occasionally to the one in Darien when I still lived in Connecticut, but I haven't been to a Trader Joe's since I moved to Boston more than four years ago. Jeff and I finally decided to go check out the new one that opened near Fresh Pond, which is how I ended up with the pappardelle for this dinner. (The pappardelle is good but a bit strong on the lemon flavor so it's best eaten with the other components of this meal.)

We bought a few other things to try but ended up going across the street to Whole Foods to finish our shopping. I know I loved the frozen potato pancakes Trader Joe's used to carry and their pumpkin bread mix, but I really didn't see anything I had to have when I stopped in this time. Usually, I can't leave Whole Foods without filling my cart. I'm definitely a Whole Foods girl.

Do you prefer Whole Foods or Trader Joe's... and why? If neither is in your area, what's your favorite grocery store?



 Don't forget to enter my Olivia's Organics giveaway!

17 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Fabulous dinner! I do a lot of last minute swapping too.
Trader Joe's or Whole Foods?? I love them both. I couldn't use either one exclusively and find myself at both all the time- I think they each have a place. Great post
xoxo Pattie

Mike said...

Yum! I'll have to try this. I am fond of Whole Foods, but a Fairway recently opened up near us, and man, do I love it. There are always three - three! - people manning the fish counter, and they have a great selection.

brandi said...

I don't have EITHER and I've never been to a Whole Foods.

I do try to get to TJs when I visit my parents to stock up on almond butter (great price), pb, nuts/trail mixes.

newlywed said...

We live pretty much next door to a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods...but I mostly do my shopping at Donelan's or Roche Brothers. I love Whole Foods for a treat, but dude, it adds up quick for me in that place. As for Trader Joe's...well, there are some things there that I love, but I've stopped going there with a shopping list because of what I call the 90% rule. They only ever have 90% of what I need!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Oh no! The WF seafood curse struck again?!? It must be annoying but it makes me giggle because how many times can this happen to you? I am a Peapod and farmers' market gal and I supplement at the last minute with Savenor's (pricey but convenient) or Whole Foods.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

This looks delicious!

You know, I'm not too enthusiastic about Trader Joe's, either. Everyone was in a tizzy when we finally got a TJ's in Charlotte, so I had high expectations, and when I got there I just felt a little let down. They have a few neat things (nut butters, Mediterranean meals, great hummus), but it's very sparse.

Joan said...

I do love Trader Joe's. We lived in NC for a year, didn't have one there, and when we moved back, it was one of the first places I went. :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Ahhh I thought I was the only one struck with the seafood curse at Whole Foods haha. I prefer Whole Foods - but I also love Trader Joe's, mostly because of the prices. But if money was no object, Whole Foods all the way!

Daisy said...

I love both. When I lived in Brookline, the Coolidge Corner Trader Joe's was on my way home! Adam was living in Newton then, and there was a Whole Foods on on the walk home from the train. I guess a lot of it has to do with convenience. Now I miss them both because there isn't really either one super convenient to the north end!

Your dish looks great. I love swordfish and pappardelle.

Ingrid said...

Looks terrific! I agree I love the lemony colors!
~ingrid

Jennifurla said...

Looks great, I love swordfish too

The Southern Cookbook said...

Wow, This looks awesome. We don't have a Trader Joe's in our area, Or a whole foods market. We have Mother Earth Market wich I go to a lot. I really shop Publix and Mother Earth. Great Post. By the way I love Capers :)

Sandi said...

ohhhh that looks wonderful!!! really delcious

Stephanie Savors the Moment said...

OMG that swordfish looks amazing and I loooove pappardelle! Fabulous post and regarding the stores, I would take either one since all we have in our neighborhood is a crappy Publix that runs out of chicken on a regular basis. Looking forward to your next post!!!

Kerstin said...

I love TJs and only go to Whole Foods if there's something specific there that I can't get anywhere else because it's dangerous for my wallet!

Looks like such a lovely dinner!

Reeni said...

Such a delicious looking dish! I love the sounds of the lemon pasta. I don't do either store because I don't have them here...boo! I really wish I had a Whole Foods.

Eliana said...

Hmmm - TJ or WF? I think my preference is whole foods because they don't focus on conveinience foods as much as trader joe.