3.17.2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


I look forward to St. Patrick's Day every year for the excuse to make corned beef. This year I tried a recipe from Cook's Country, and it came out perfectly. The beef had great flavor and was super-tender. The carrots and potatoes cook in the braising liquid from the corned beef picking up some of the seasoning. (And you can also cook cabbage in with the other veggies, but I skipped it because I'd be the only one eating it. If you like cabbage with your corned beef, I recommend sautéing it on the side with onions like my mom does instead of boiling it.)


Do you cook traditional foods on St. Patrick's Day?

11 comments:

  1. I have corned beef and cabbage guilt every year because I can never get my act together in time to make some ... and this year is no exception! Glad to see someone did. ;) Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. christinefreshlocalandbestMarch 17, 2012 8:52 AM

    I have yet to try corned beef and cabbage yet - cooking and in tasting. This dish looks so good, I may try it even after St Patty's Day is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm making corned beef today. I might use this recipe instead of the one I had planned on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never liked corned beef and cabbage. I've only had it twice though. Maybe I should give it another chance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a delicious corned beef! Carrots match perfectly with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a festive meal! We had an Irish breakfast at a local pub, with Guinness and lots of tea, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandfather's birthday is on St. Patrick's Day, so it usually ends up being all about his dessert. Hope you had a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went out for St. Patrick's day this year, but seeing this makes me want to cook in next year. I bet leftovers would make great sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. FunandFearlessinBeantownMarch 19, 2012 10:03 AM

    Try as I might, I can't get myself to like corned beef.

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks awesome! maybe some year I will make my own....

    Happy (belated) St Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.