3.23.2012

Restaurant Week Portsmouth & The Seacoast

You probably know that Restaurant Week Boston is happening right now, but do you also know that Restaurant Week Portsmouth & The Seacoast started yesterday and runs through March 31? And do you know how easy it is to get to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, from Boston?

I actually bought my wedding dress in Portsmouth and used the trips up there to try on dresses as an excuse to dine at some Portsmouth restaurants. (You can believe I'll be trying out more when I go back up for fittings! What? Is a girl trying to fit into a wedding dress not supposed to eat?) On one trip my friend Carrie and I ate breakfast sandwiches at Popovers and had lunch at Surf, a seafood restaurant with a modern feel and water views.





On another trip my mom and I savored the tasting menu at Cava, and she and my sister and I checked out Portsmouth Baking Company too.





In the fall I went back with a group of Boston bloggers and had dinner at Black Trumpet Bistro during Portsmouth's fall restaurant week.




Each time I go to Portsmouth, I find something new. It's really a cute little town for wandering around, shopping, and, of course, eating.

The weather lately has been perfect for taking day trips. If you've got an itch to get out of the city for the day, why not spend it in Portsmouth?

You could take a brewery tour at Redhook . . .


. . . grab a snack at Portsmouth Baking Company . . .


. . . stroll around Strawberry Banke . . .

Photo courtesy of Daisy

. . . and have dinner at a participating restaurant (3 courses for $29.95). If I had time to get away for a day (or even just the evening), I'd be making a reservation at Cava. I'm already counting down the days to my fitting in July -- I'm sure I can convince my mom to go back!

Oh, and I don't want to leave out the Seacoast... Robert's Maine Grill in Kittery is participating in restaurant week too. My mom and I go to Robert's at least once a year. I get cravings for their mussels a la Howard, the most wonderful combination of mussels, fennel, sausage, and cream. Some of my favorite days have involved shopping at the Kittery outlets and stopping for lunch or an early dinner at Robert's with my mom.

Have you spent much time in Portsmouth? What are your favorite things to do there?

13 comments:

  1. I loved our trip to Portsmouth. I need to return to try Cava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FunandFearlessinBeantownMarch 23, 2012 8:57 AM

    I have only been to Portsmouth once with you but can't wait to return again this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this post! makes me miss ports. The next time I'll be there is for my friends wedding in June. We are staying right downtown and the rehearsal dinner is taking place at one of the spots on the water..(Oar House i think!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, my happy place (or one of). I might actually try and go on Sunday, unless it's cold and rainy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww reading this reminded me of our fun girls day out! I definitely want to go back soon and just relax and also try another fantastic restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I've never been to Portsmouth! Putting it on my list for this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to try to get there this summer - its such a great city!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Portsmouth! Zahtar has great Mediterranean food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only been to Portsmouth twice, but it's so charming. Unfortunately, it was muggy and cloudy both times. The apricot-frangipane tart and giant Chunky Lola-esque cookie at Ceres Street Bakery more than made up for that! I haven't been to the restaurants you mention, so I have a couple of good reasons to go back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily @ A Cambridge StoryMarch 24, 2012 5:59 PM

    You know I love Portsmouth! This reminds me that I still need to try Cava!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Getting your dress up there definitely provides a great excuse to try new restaurants in Portsmouth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so many great options, I need to get up there!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. christinefreshlocalandbestMarch 25, 2012 11:30 PM

    The tuna dish looks tantalizing as does the croissant! I would love a tour of the Redhook Brewery.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.