8.24.2010

Watermelon, The Quintessential Summer Treat


I don't think I know anyone who doesn't love watermelon. I feel like we're all programmed to crave the sweet, juicy fruit as soon as we get out in the hot summer sun. And it's obvious why: Watermelon is a sign of summer to so many of us. It's so watery, as the name would imply, that it's the perfect thirst quencher. The fruit instantly melts into a puddle of cool liquid on your tongue and helps to lessen the intensity of the summer heat.

That's one reason why I couldn't resist picking up a "personal-size" watermelon at Whole Foods last week. The other reason should be quite clear: It's a mini watermelon!


I had every intention of merely slicing up the watermelon and sharing it with Jeff for dessert throughout the week -- it really feeds more than one person -- but I happened to come across more mini watermelons at the farmers' market on Saturday morning. And these were not just any mini watermelons but mini yellow watermelons!

Well, the wheels started turning, and I started picturing the bright red and yellow fruits contrasting each other, and I knew I had to get a yellow watermelon too. I'd never had one before, but I reasoned that if it were anything like its red counterpart, I would love it.

I got both watermelons out after dinner on Saturday and split them open.


I kind of wonder what I would have thought if I didn't know the watermelon was supposed to be yellow! It's not something you see every day. I wished the yellow watermelon was seedless like the red one, but other than that I didn't really notice any difference. The yellow melon may have been slightly sweeter.


Instead of just cutting some watermelon slices, I took my melons and a melon baller and set to work scooping us up some watermelon "sundaes." These sundaes were definitely one of the simplest, most refreshing desserts I have ever made!



One of my favorite watermelon memories goes back to one summer during college. My old roommate and I bought a watermelon one day, halved it, and grabbed spoons. We each plopped down on the couch with a half of watermelon in our laps and dug in while watching a movie -- or maybe it was a Felicity marathon. I remember that we both nearly finished our watermelon halves -- and this was no personal-sized watermelon -- and felt cooled off and content, in spite of our respective stomach aches!

What's your favorite watermelon memory? Have you ever had a yellow watermelon?

Don't forget it's Mass Farmers Market Week. You can donate to Mass Farmers Markets or join the blogathon, hosted by In Our Grandmothers' Kitchens to show your support!