8.22.2010

Celebrating The Flavors Of Massachusetts: Farmers' Market Finds, August 21


There's a blogathon happening right now! The week of August 22-28 has been dubbed Farmers Market Week, and In Our Grandmothers' Kitchens is hosting a blogathon celebrating local food called Loving Local: Celebrating the Flavors of Massachusetts. You may recall my post a while back when I told you all about this blogathon (if you don't, it's right here). As you know I've been writing about my local farmers' market finds on almost a weekly basis, so participating in this blogathon was certainly a no-brainer. It's like farmers' market week every week around here!

As my contribution to the blogathon, I have some posts planned this week that focus on what I found at the Union Square Farmers Market in Somerville, Mass., yesterday and what I did with my finds.

Here's what I bought this week: a watermelon (but not just any watermelon -- there's a secret inside, which I'll reveal in an upcoming post) from Hutchins Farm, a bunch of basil from Drumlin Farm, and heirloom tomatoes and diva cucumbers from Kimball Fruit Farm.


I also made my regular stop at the Iggy's Bread stand. I don't think I've told you this before, but I am obsessed with Iggy's cranberry pecan rolls, so I get one (and sometimes two) every Saturday when I stop at the farmers' market.


We had a lot to do this past Saturday and not much time for breakfast, so I also picked up an onion bagel for Jeff. 


And because one can never have too much bread (right?), I bought a couple of French point rolls to have with dinner (they're behind my beloved cranberry pecan rolls in this photo).



And while I shop at my local Union Square Farmers Market, Christine from Fresh Local and Best shops at hers. If you missed her guest post where she shared her finds from New York's Union Square Greenmarket, check it out here!

I'll be blogging more this week about what I did with my farmers' market finds, so be sure to stop back. 


Did you visit any farmers' markets this weekend? What did you get? What are you making? Are you participating in the blogathon?


If you're interested in donating to Mass Farmers Markets, you can do so here.