6.27.2010

Flour Bakery + Cafe, Cambridge, Mass.


I just got home from Flour Bakery + Cafe in Cambridge, the third location of Joanne Chang's fabulous Flour Bakery. The Cambridge location officially opened this past Friday, but today we had a soft opening for employees and their guests. Perhaps this is the right moment to disclose that I am a Flour employee.


I have been working at Flour for almost a year now. I started at the South End location on Washington Street working the cookie shift last July. I baked cookies, shaped croissants, scooped muffins, and helped wherever I was needed on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays while holding down my editing job in the evening and the other days of the week (which I still do now but in a much smaller capacity).

In February I was offered the opportunity to work full time at Flour's second location in Fort Point Channel on Farnsworth Street. I went from baking cookies to making and baking everything we sell there. My official title is pastry cook, and my shift is called the case shift. Being on the case entails finishing and setting out all of the cakes, tarts (and little tartlets like the ones below), and other products that go in our front cold display case, as well as filling cake orders. Once I finish executing my case responsibilities for the day, I move on to production. This is when all the rest of the mising, mixing, panning, baking, depanning, and displaying activities occur.


I get to work with a mixer that has a bowl so big I can sit in it. I use ovens that can bake 18 coffee cakes at a time.

Photo credit: shunafish

And the thing that will probably excite Flour fans most, I make our famous sticky buns and other brioche products practically every week, trading off this responsibility with other bakers.

Photo credit: shunafish

I loved working at the South End location and love my current position at Fort Point too, but I am also beyond excited to be involved with the opening of the Cambridge location. I'll be flitting back and forth between Cambridge and Fort Point for a bit but will ultimately end up working at the Cambridge location, which is closest to where I live and in what I consider my extended neighborhood.

Here are some pictures of the new space and some of the food we had today...



Hope you'll stop by if you live in or are visiting the area! If you're not local and you want to try some Flour goodies, check out the cookbook: Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes.

Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes

Flour Bakery + Cafe on Urbanspoon

14 comments:

Meghan@traveleatlove said...

I looooove Flour and can not wait to check out the new location!

A Thought For Food said...

I'm so glad that they've opened up another location! I've been to the Fort Point location a number of times and the one in the South End a couple (though I find the latter of the two to be a bit too cramped). I adore their sandwiches and the beverages and desserts are phenomenal. Great post!

SK said...

I love flour! I really enjoy reading Joanne's tweets about the bakery and her restaurant. Thanks for sharing what you do at the bakery! I'll be visiting the Cambridge location soon - maybe it'll be my new favorite location? Still love the South End location the most!

Daisy said...

What a cool job! How have I never been to Flour? Heading there ASAP!

We Are Not Martha said...

Yay, this is so exciting!! But now, the next move HAS to be to Brookline (Coolidge Corner, please!) These 3 locations are still all tough for me to get to... But since Flour is so awesome, I still make sure to find a way!!

Sues

Amy I. said...

Wow, that's so awesome! Congrats on the new location. I knew you worked at a bakery but now that I have images to go along with that in my head, it seems infinitely more cool (and I already thought it was infinitely cool before...)

Nicole said...

Wow, Megan, that's so awesome! I didn't realize you worked at Flour. That's very impressive and it sounds like you're really enjoying yourself. I can't wait to check out the Cambridge location - just down the road from me. Coongratulations!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

what a gorgeous place to work and bake! the sticky buns look scrumptious! Best of luck in the new location!

Kerstin said...

I'm so excited to check out the new Cambridge location since it's closest to where I live too! I loved hearing more about your job there too :)

Stephanie Savors the Moment said...

Wow, great photos! Will have to check out Flour next time I'm in Cambridge.
Just signed up to follow your fabulous blog - stop by and visit at www.stephaniesavorsthemoment.com.Look forward to your next post!

Eliana said...

What a fun place to work at. All the food looks so delicious.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Great photos and I am SOOOOO excited to visit Flour Cambridgge soon!
PS - Your job sounds awesome :)

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I'm so glad you shared with us! What a dream job - being surrounded by all those gorgeous treats and intoxicating smells. Your such an excellent baker. I'm so happy for you!

Joan said...

We are visiting in September and I will have to try to make it to the Cambridge location. That would be the closest one. The roast Chicken and Smoked Turkey sandwiches sound great. Also the sticky buns!