9.10.2010

Zucchini Pancakes

Zucchini pancakes

I've noticed that zucchini is the one thing home gardeners always complain about having too much of. When I someday have a home with a yard and room for a garden (hopefully within a few months if the househunting pans out!), I'm going to embrace every last bit of zucchini that my very un-green thumb manages to grow.

I don't think I could run out of ideas for how to use zucchini. It's perfect in a summer vegetable gratin, in a light summer soup, sauteed with summer squash and garlic and served over angel hair, in cupcakes and breads, and countless other ways.

I've seen recipes that range from zucchini fritters to stuffed zucchini to zucchini slaw. I have my eye on a recipe in Cook's Illustrated that combines zucchini with tomatoes and basil -- I don't know how I haven't made it yet.

On my most recent visit to the farmers' market, I picked up some zucchini with one very simple recipe in mind: heavenly zucchini pancakes from Meghan over at Travel, Wine, and Dine. Meghan has the best recipes for summer farmers' market finds, and I turn to her blog often for inspiration.

I changed her recipe just a teeny bit, using seasoned panko instead of plain, and simply smeared my pancakes with some spreadable feta. She made a spicy yogurt dip, which I would have tried if I had the ingredients on hand. It sounds really tasty!


Zucchini Pancakes (adapted from Travel, Wine, and Dine)

Ingredients

3 small zucchini
2 eggs
1 cup Italian-style panko
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed

Preparation

Grate zucchini (I use the small grating blade on my food processor). Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl, and mix in grated zucchini and panko. Season with salt and pepper.


Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.

Take a small handful of the zucchini mixture, and lightly pack it into a patty. Place the patty in the skillet. Repeat until the skillet is full, about 6 or 7 patties. Saute patties for about 5 minutes per side, or until deep golden brown.

Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with coarse salt (if desired).

Zucchini pancakes

Repeat with remaining mixture.

Serve the pancakes with spreadable feta or your cheese or topping of choice.

Zucchini pancakes

Meghan calls these zucchini pancakes heavenly, and I have to agree. They're crunchy on the outside and soft and pillowy on the inside, with the fresh, green flavor of zucchini.

What's your favorite zucchini dish?