1.13.2011

An Evening In Portland

Every year my mom and I head to Freeport and Kittery, Maine, in November to get some Christmas shopping done. This past year we were away on a cruise when we'd normally head up there, so we postponed our trip to the first weekend in December instead. And because I'd been hearing so much about Portland, I suggested that we tack an extra leg onto the trip.

We headed out on a Friday afternoon and slowly made our way north, stopping at Stonewall Kitchen and then at Clara's Cupcake Cafe along the way, and finally ending up in Portland.

Our first stop was Rabelais -- a bookstore I would want to own if I ever owned a bookstore.


It's filled wall to wall with cookbooks and food books. It's a heaven for those who are as fond of cookbooks as I am. I could have spent hours in there.


Surprising myself and my mother, I left without buying anything! It was close to Christmas and I thought I should give to others instead of to myself, and I think I was just a little overwhelmed by the number of books and couldn't focus on what I actually needed (as if I need any other cookbooks).


We said goodbye to our new, small friend on the way out.


And then we were immediately drawn right into the next store: Dean's Sweets.


Here, we sampled chocolates and bought some provisions for the rest of our trip: an assortment of truffles and some bacon butter crunch candy. I was particularly smitten with the lemon apricot chevre truffle.


After tearing ourselves away from the truffle display, we ventured back out into the cold and walked down toward the shops and wandered in and out of them, looking for gifts, browsing, and enjoying the season. We even stopped into a bridal shop -- the first one I've gone in since I got engaged! It's such a different feeling when you know you're looking for a potential dress for your own wedding.


When it was nearing dinnertime, we made one last stop at Le Roux Kitchen, which boasts all the kitchen tools you can imagine, from baking supplies to chef's knives to oils and vinegars of various flavors. We had a great time wandering around in here. It's the place to stop if you're looking for kitchen stuff.






And then came the moment I had most been looking forward to: dinner! I had planned for us to have dinner at Fore Street because I'd been hearing incredible things about the restaurant for quite some time.


Even though I had checked a month in advance, I couldn't get reservations. Luckily though, Fore Street sets aside a certain number of tables for walk-ins each night. You can go in at 5 and put your name on the list, and they'll give you an estimated wait time. We were there right when they opened and were able to get a table for 5:30 so we settled in at the bar and ordered cocktails and looked over the menu while we waited.


I got a roasted apple martini, which was much stronger than I anticipated, so the bartender sweetened it up with some simple syrup for me.


Shortly thereafter we were shown to our table and ordered a couple of appetizers to start with. The menu at Fore Street changes regularly to make use of what's available locally and what's in season, so I can't promise you'll find the same things we had. (And some of these pictures are terrible because I was trying not to use my flash and ruin the rustic, dimly lit ambiance of the room we were in.)

We tried a salad with beet panna cotta and goat cheese that had a mustard dressing on it. I love panna cotta and thought it was interesting to incorporate it in a savory dish like this.



Along with the salad, we shared a bowl of soup. This was the favorite dish of the night for both of us. It was a luscious pumpkin soup (not overly spiced like most pumpkin soups) with a pile of Jonah crab meat in the middle and some pepitas and other garnishes on top. If this is on the menu when you go, definitely order it!


My mom ordered the beef short ribs for her entree. And I got the duck breast with gnocchi for mine. Best duck I have ever had.



And we shared a side of brussels sprouts.


And a bottle of wine.


Even though we were both stuffed at this point, we couldn't leave without trying some dessert.


We both agreed that the one dessert that called out to us was the warm chocolate cake served with espresso creme anglaise, vanilla bean ice cream, and caramelized cacao nibs.


We couldn't finish it, but it was definitely worth trying! The chocolate was so rich and fudge-like.

We left the restaurant, warm and full, and stepped out into our first snow of the year (which you can barely see in this picture).


I think we'll be stopping in Portland again next year, and it may become a permanent add-on to our yearly Freeport and Kittery shopping trip!




Have you spent much time in Portland, Maine? What are your favorite places to shop and eat at there?

Fore Street on Urbanspoon

24 comments:

  1. SO glad that you enjoyed your time in Portland- it is by far one of my favorite cities. Street & Co is my usual stop for dinner- fantastic seafood. Also we always go to The Merry Table Creperie for breakfast-delicious Crepes and the sweetest owners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Old Port! I used to escape there from my College all the time! I adore Simply Scandanavian, it's so simple and fun. I spent my 21st B-Day at the Eastland. It was AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Portland, swoon. I haven't checked out too many of the dinner options there. Fore street is definitely on my list. Unsurprisingly my favorites are bakeries: scratch and standard, of course. I must try Clara's though! I hope you post a review of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that I adore Portland and you have me so excited for my trip up there this weekend! You hit a lot of my favorite spots but definitely take the drive to South Portland and check out Scratch Bakery next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, as far as i saw on TV and pictures, Portland looks like an amazing place for us, lovers of nature, cooking, crafs etc :D

    Ohhh i want to be there now! here its too hot at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love portland -- but have yet to try fore street! must get back soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For someone who grew up on the coast of NH, I definitely haven't been to Portland enough. when I have gone, I've love its quaint feel and great food. Those short ribs are enough to get me back up there. Fore Street has been on my to-eats for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Portland is definitely one of my favorite cities. I could live there! I love Fore Street, Jay's Oyster, and Duck Fat, and some of the bars are really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. panna cotta on a salad? I'm intrigued! I can see why the soup was easily your favorite. I feel like I say this on everyones blogs who writes about Portland, but, I've got to explore it one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i haven't been to portland and i'm dying to check it out! looks like a great place to spend a wintery weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! I could have never stepped foot in that bookstore. I would have to kiss my life savings away if I did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've only been to Portland twice (when we've visited my husband's family in NH), but both times we've gone to Dimilo's seafood restaurant - it's on a boat. The food there is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Portland!! My roommate from college is from there so I love going up and visiting. Walters is good and Duck Fat was pretty tasty too. I just love walking around Old Port! So pretty! Your food looks delicious : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE Portland! I've never been to Fore Street but would love to go. I always go to Duck Fat, where they fry pretty much everything in duck fat (which is DELICIOUS!) and Standard Baking Co., which I think supplies the breads for Fore Street! And of course Le Roux for fun culinary browsing and Stonewall Kitchen for snacks... Portland is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Portland! It's my favorite city. I've been to Fore. It's a fantastic restaurant. I'll have to try the dessert when I go back!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a great trip. I've never been to Portland. Do you know if there are any cooking/baking supply stores like that in Boston?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jen - there's Kitchen Arts on Newbury Street....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you had a great trip. Leah and I usually get to Portland once or twice a year, but I have never been to the book store you visited, it looks awesome. I'm definitely going to search for it next time we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wanted to explore the "other" Portland. What a perfectly delicious day! What willpower you had in that awesome bookstore! Thanks for sharing your day with us! ;O) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you ladies had a great time in Portland : )
    I wonder how they go about making a roasted apple martini.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an awesome trip - I always forget how close Portland is, we totally need to take a weekend trip there. That kitchen store looks amazing! And I love the idea of crab and pumpkin together in a soup.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never been to Portland, Maine, it looks like such a charming town! Rabelais is a GREAT place to go Christmas shopping! What a wonderful selection of cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've only been to Portland once and definitely missed out on all the foodie experiences (it was a girls night in college). I think we need to do a road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ah this brings me back to our trip to Maine in the fall...went in all those stores but mad i missed out on some of the restaurants! i need to return!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.