3.21.2011

Maple-Dijon Brussels Sprouts And Noodles

Maple-Dijon brussels sprouts and noodles

I've gotten into the habit of buying brussels sprouts every time we go to Whole Foods. I know they won't be around for too much longer, but they're the one and only aspect of winter I am trying to carry with me into the spring. By the way... Happy Spring!!


Usually, I'll get them home; quarter them; saute them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper; and then go to town. They're absolutely perfect like this, and why mess with a good thing, right?


Well, after weeks of this, I decided it was time to do something a little different with them. I had a whole bunch of mustard in the fridge after making that pan-roasted lamb with mustard pan sauce and thought some sort of mustard-roasted brussels sprout dish would hit the spot. I searched for recipes and found maple-dijon roasted brussels sprouts on Closet Cooking. This recipe served as my inspiration.

I only had a 1/2 pound of brussels sprouts, but I also had some leftover buttered egg noodles in the fridge, so I still made the same amount of maple-dijon vinaigrette but turned a brussels sprout side dish into a main course noodle dish -- perfect for two lunch-size portions. I also switched out the cider vinegar for sherry vinegar and stuck with my method of sauteeing the brussels sprouts instead of roasting them, which would have taken a lot longer.

The end result was a sweet and tangy noodle dish studded with caramelized brussels sprouts and crunchy almond slices. This is a dish I know I'll be making again -- even if I have to wait until next winter for more brussels sprouts.

Maple-Dijon brussels sprouts and noodles

Maple-Dijon Brussels Sprouts And Noodles (adapted from Closet Cooking)
(Print this recipe)

Ingredients

1/2 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper

Vinaigrette
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste

1 1/2 cups cooked egg noodles, tossed with butter or olive oil
2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted

Preparation

In medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add brussels sprouts, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frquently, until well-browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Drizzle in more olive oil as needed (the brussels sprouts tend to soak it in).



Meanwhile, prepare the vinaigrette: In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustards, garlic, and salt and pepper.

Toss the brussels sprouts, noodles, and almond slices in the vinaigrette.

Maple-Dijon brussels sprouts and noodles

Serve hot.

Maple-Dijon brussels sprouts and noodles

What's one aspect of winter you're going to miss now that it's spring?