3.26.2011

Cheddar-And-Bacon-Stuffed Chicken Breasts


I very rarely make things without following a recipe (besides pasta, omelets, and those simple sorts of things), and perhaps this is why. When left to my own devices, I make a meal that could only be less healthy if I dropped it in the fryer. But, hey, it was to die for.

You see, I had some chicken breasts and some random ingredients in the fridge, and while thinking of ways to use them, and after seeing a bacon-stuffed chicken recipe, I came up with the idea to stuff the chicken with some bacon and cheddar cheese.


Cheddar-And-Bacon-Stuffed Chicken Breasts (inspired by this Epicurious recipe)

Ingredients

6 slices bacon
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, if desired
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese

Preparation

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Cook bacon on stove in oven-safe skillet until cooked but not crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.


Flatten chicken breasts to about 1/4- to 1/8-inch thickness, and lightly season with salt and pepper.

Spread a teaspoon of Dijon mustard on each chicken breast, if desired.


Lay three pieces of bacon on each chicken breast, and top the bacon with the cheddar cheese.



Roll up each chicken breast, being careful to keep the bacon and cheddar tucked inside, and secure each with toothpicks.


Place the chicken rollups back in the pan with bacon grease and cook on the stove over medium heat, turning frequently, just to brown all sides.


Transfer the pan to the oven, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Feel free to baste the chicken with some of the bacon grease while it's baking. (I warned you this was not diet food.)


Serve hot, preferably with some of these pretzel rolls.


This is the ultimate in comfort food. What cold-weather comfort foods will you miss as we move into spring? (Spring weather is coming, right?)

18 comments:

mr. pineapple man said...

my husband would LOVE this!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

Meals like this are why I love being spontaneous in the kitchen when it comes to cooking...I'm getting a little better about improvising with baking too!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

Whoa, DROOL! I always say, anything with bacon is better than something without it. Bacon is certainly never something left in the fridge that needs to be used up. haha

MelissaNibbles said...

Wow! These sound amazing! I love cheddar in anything.

chezsasha said...

This chicken is mouthwatering. Nice job ; )

Jen said...

I love that you said this is why you follow recipes. Looks tasty. Bacon makes everything better.

Shannon said...

so delicious :) and with pretzel rolls! perfect dinner!

Joanne said...

sometimes a girl just needs some cheese and bacon in her life. That's just the way it goes. Sounds fantastic!

Alicia said...

Now that is what I'm talking about. That is a super-comforting dish. I will miss short-ribs come warm weather, but that will be replaced by delicious farmer's market finds.....

Daisy said...

I hope spring weather is coming! I mean, it was 28* this morning, come on already!

This looks like such an indulgent dinner. so creative!

The Glamorous Gourmet said...

What's not to love about that deliciousness? YUM!

Natalie said...

I've recently fallen in love with bacon! You just can't go wrong! And I love stuffed chicken--tonight we're stuffing with herbs and goat cheese mmm :)

Mike Z said...

I'm excited to make this. I was just doing what you did looking through my fridge to see what I had, put the ingredients in Google, and your recipe came up. I think I'm going to add cream cheese.

rogero said...

im making it right now! And i'm only going to post this once!

Megan said...

Wonderful! Hope you enjoy it!

yummynummy said...

what do you preheat the oven too

CupofSusan said...

Finally I come across a recipe that doesn't require cream cheese! Definitely giving this a try tomorrow night!

Susan | Susan Loves...

Megan said...

Hope you like it!