4.06.2012

43 Church, Salem, Mass.


Our wedding is just 6 months away! I've been wading through all the checklists trying to stay on top of everything we need to do. During the past month, we've really been tackling finding somewhere to have our rehearsal dinner. We're getting married in Beverly, and I'm not super familiar with the area. Luckily, Jeff's aunt and uncle live nearby, and they've been more than happy to dine at some restaurants for us and give us their feedback.

We went with them to try Brutole in Danvers, but I didn't take any pictures that night. While we enjoyed the food, we were up in the air on the atmosphere. The restaurant doesn't have a private room or event space, so we'd be tucked in a corner of the restaurant right by the door. We looked at some other places in the area too but just didn't get the feeling we were hoping for.

I checked in with my venue, and the wedding coordinator there suggested we try 43 Church in Salem. I scanned the menu and thought it sounded like my kind of restaurant. Jeff and I made an appointment with the event coordinator there, made a reservation for dinner, and headed up there on a Friday after work. We met with the coordinator, went over event menus, and toured the event space. The upstairs of the restaurant features lots of private space in the form of a big open room with rustic wood floors and a fireplace. The space feels historic and cozy. We loved what we saw and stayed to have dinner back downstairs in the restaurant.



We each ordered a glass of wine (Riesling for Jeff, Malbec for me) and nibbled on fresh bread and the most wonderful butter (doctored up in house with salt and chives).

We shared a bowl of French onion soup, and by shared, I mean I got to eat all the bread. Jeff loves French onion soup but not the crouton... more for me! We both liked this one but didn't find it as beefy and full flavored as some others we've had.


I had my eye on the wedge salad (one of my favorite salads to order at a steak house) from the moment I first scanned 43 Church's menu, so I had to order it. I loved how the wedge was cut into slices. This is how I typically make a wedge salad at home, but usually it's served in an intact (difficult-to-eat) wedge at restaurants. The bacon was crisp and the blue cheese creamy.


Jeff got a Caesar salad (one of his favorite salads to order just about anywhere).


Going with my new favorite cut, I ordered the rib eye cooked medium-rare for my entree. 43 Church gives you the option to choose an accompanying sauce, and I went with a wine sauce. The steak was so flavorful it didn't even need the sauce.


Jeff chose the NY sirloin, which was suggested to us as one of the most popular rehearsal dinner options. I knew he wouldn't want a creamy sauce (like Bernaise or horseradish), so I talked him into the house steak sauce, which ended up being tangy and bright.


And we shared an order of garlic mashed potatoes (amazing).


My steak was better... but how could it not be with all that buttery fat to give it flavor? We decided we'd definitely go with the rib eye for a rehearsal dinner option.

I rarely leave anywhere without having dessert or at least looking at the dessert menu, so I took a glance at one, and as I was reading all the options, I saw something called Chef's Dessert Board. I asked our waiter about it, and he confirmed my suspicions: It was indeed a sampling of many of the desserts on the menu. That was all I needed to hear.

Soon a platter arrived before us featuring the lemon cheesecake with raspberry sauce, chocolate chip cookies, apple ravioli, and warm chocolate cake with vanilla malt ice cream and hot fudge. The perfect assortment for someone who has trouble choosing just one dessert. (Don't tell me that just happens to me!)


This is Jeff's are-you-done-taking-pictures-can-I-eat-dessert-already face. He's a good sport.


I think we fought over the chocolate cake most. It was so warm, soft, and gooey and clearly went perfectly with the malt ice cream. I could do without the cookies, but I enjoyed the dense, rich cheesecake with tangy raspberry sauce and the cinnamon-y sweet apple ravioli.

We had a great evening and just booked 43 Church for our rehearsal dinner. I'm so happy to have checked something else off the list!

Have you been to any great North Shore restaurants?

43 Church on Urbanspoon

19 comments:

janieliz19 said...

I just got married in Salem and we did 43 Church for the after- reception destination - I absolutely love it there! It's beautiful and I've heard the food is great too :) we considered doing the rehearsal dinner there too, but we ended up at Finz (which is on the waterfront) instead.

Traveleatlove said...

Wow! The wedge salad and desserts look especially beautiful, but everything looks great. The decor is lovely.

FunandFearlessinBeantown said...

We are checking out places with Bret's parents at the end of the month. I'll keep you posted. P.S. I've seen the look on Jeff's face on my own fiance many times! :-)

Mal @ The Chic Geek said...

Your meal is exactly what I would order too, wedge salad (love that it's sliced, how clever!) and a ribeye...my absolute favorite. Looks delicious!

Bianca Garcia said...

Ribeye is my favorite cut too! That dessert plate is fabulous!

Daisy said...

how great you have another thing checked off the list! this looks like a perfect spot. My friend who is getting married in Salem is having hers at Finz on the water, I have had good meals and cocktails there in the past!

In and Around Town said...

Thats a big one to check off the list!! Congrats on the 6 month mark - you have so much together already, you are in such perfect shape!

Nick gets that same face whenever we go out to eat ;)

MelissaNibbles said...

Jeff's face is funny in the last picture. What a good guy.
The mashed potatoes and dessert platter look delicious. Your rehearsal dinner sounds like it's going to be really good!

Simply Life said...

oh this looks like such a great place...especially that dessert platter! yum!

Taryn Collins said...

I LOVE ribeye steaks... so buttery and melt-in-your-mouth amazing. Your rehearsal dinner guests have something divine to look forward to! That dessert platter also looks pretty great...

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad you guys liked it and booked it! The food looks great. And that dessert board, I mean, goes without saying.

beantownbaker said...

Love the pic of Jeff! I'm going to have to remember this place when we have people in town for work. It's always tough to find good places to take them in the north shore. Congrats on booking a rehearsal dinner location!

Reeni said...

Yay! The place looks charming and the food delicious!

Sacha said...

Congratulations! That's so exciting, especially given how lovely the food sounds! I love how the wedge was plated. And rib eye is almost always my first choice. Oh, and that face...I get that a lot :)

Sues said...

Yay! Congrats! I've been loving crossing things off the list... Only 2 months to go for us! That restaurant looks fabulous and will be the perfect place to celebrate the night before your wedding :)

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

oooh, just 6 more months????? You must be sooo excited!
Jeff has such a serious look in that photo ;)

Here's to checking more things off on your list!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story said...

This restaurant looks cozy and welcoming - just perfect for a rehearsal dinner. I can't believe Jeff doesn't like the crouton on French onion soup!

Colleen said...

I love a good wedge salad! Sounds like you will have some happy guests at your rehearsal dinner!

Sara said...

That last photo is quite amusing. Glad you found a spot for your rehearsal dinner!