4.11.2012

Grilled Pork With Peppers And Onion

Grilled pork

I do not claim to have any sort of skills when it comes to grilling; it's actually one of the cooking methods I'm least familiar with. But since we're living with Jeff's parents and they've got a grill and grilling seems to be a quick and easy way to get to dinner on the table (not to mention that it keeps the kitchen clean), I've been giving it a try.

I decided to start small. Jeff made burgers a couple nights, and the first time he did, I laid some asparagus spears on a piece of foil, drizzled them with olive oil, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and placed them on the grill along with the burgers. A little while later, we had nicely charred, flavorful asparagus to go with our burgers. The next time I got a little more adventurous and tossed some mini peppers and onion slices with olive oil, salt and pepper, and a little garlic powder. It was another success.

Call it a confidence booster. I was ready for something a little more complicated and seasoned some boneless pork chops with salt and pepper. If I had more time, I would have brined them (and hopefully I'll get around to trying that soon.)

Then I decided to make mini peppers again, this time with wedges of Vidalia onion, salt, pepper, and olive oil. I put the mixture on a sheet of foil again. At some point I'm thinking I'll be brave enough to put veggies right on the grill grate, but I'm not quite there yet.

Peppers and onions

Once the grill was good and hot, I set the pork on one side and the veggies on the other.

Grilling pork, peppers, and onions

I flipped the pork after the bottom side got charred and then cooked it a little longer before transferring it to a plate to rest.

Grilled pork

Some of the pieces were perfect and some were just about a minute overdone--I'll have to work on that--but they were all well seasoned and still juicy.

The veggies took a little longer, and I tossed them with tongs occasionally to get charring on all sides.

Grilled peppers and onions

I was pretty pleased with the final outcome.

Grilled pork, peppers, and onions

Do you grill? What do you like to make? I really want to try making grilled pizza.