12.08.2010

The Food Onboard Royal Caribbean's Oasis Of The Seas

There was certainly no shortage of food on the cruise.

Buffets were available at breakfast and lunch time. Usually I would make an egg sandwich with hash on an English muffin or just nibble on some hash browns and fruit for breakfast. I'm not big on waffles and pancakes or scrambled eggs that are just sitting out on buffet lines, but everyone else seemed to enjoy these other options.

At lunch, I would try to eat somewhat healthfully, taking a piece of chicken, turkey, or pork each time and making a small salad and maybe having some pasta and sauteed veggies -- until the day I discovered the french fries, and then it was all downhill.

We had dinner at the main dining room every night except one and had an 8:30 seating. When you have seatings, you have the benefit of having the same waitstaff each night. Over the course of the week, they get to know you by name, remember what wine you're drinking, and make the whole experience more friendly.


Part of the glamour of cruising -- in my opinion -- is having that sitdown dinner every night (my first cruise had freestyle dining instead). I especially loved the formal dinners as an excuse to dress up, but Jeff made a good point that he has to wear a suit to work every day and doesn't want to have to get dressed up on vacation. I guess the difference is that I usually wear jeans to work.


My mom surprised us with a bottle of champagne to celebrate our engagement on the night of the first formal dinner.


We soon learned that you can order as many appetizers, entrees, and desserts as you want, which is great for someone like me who just wants to try everything! The oxtail broth was definitely one of the highlights. And I, of course, tried as many desserts as I could. The strawberry pavlova was one of my favorites, but the chocolate souffle was too dense and very disappointing.


On the one night we skipped the main dining room, we went to Chops Steakhouse, one of the upscale restaurants on the boat that you can pay $25 extra per person to dine at (and still get as many apps, entrees, and desserts as you want). This was the best dinner of the week.


I started with the French onion soup and a salad with bacon.



And then I had the petite filet for my main course.


I ended the night with a warming coffee drink and a few bites of mud pie, which we all agreed was the best dessert of the week.



Don't we look like we just had the best dinner ever?


Up next: St. Thomas and St. John