12.16.2010

Sugar Cookies With Raspberry Pie Filling


Did you know that there are so many things you can do with pie filling besides make a pie? I really hadn't given it much thought until Lucky Leaf offered to send me some pie fillings and recipes to try out. The recipes I got were for sugar cookies and apple streusel bread -- far from pie! I was excited to give the recipes a try and started with the sugar cookies.


Basically, you choose your favorite sugar cookie dough, and that plus a can of Lucky Leaf raspberry pie filling is all you need. Yes, I said raspberry! I've never seen raspberry pie filling before, so I was extra excited to make these cookies once I saw the flavor I got.


I used a sugar cookie recipe from Flour for the sugar cookie dough.




To make the cookies:

Once your dough is chilled and ready to roll out, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Roll out the dough to about 1/4-inch thick, and cut out cookies.


Lucky Leaf sent me a large star cookie cutter to use. I cut a few of these out and then decided I would end up with much bigger cookies than I like (you know me and mini things), so I switched to a mini cookie cutter instead.

Place each cutout on a sheet pan lined with parchment or Silpats. Top each cutout with a little bit of the raspberry pie filling. Then cut out more cookies and place those on top of the pie filling. Press the edges together slightly so the jam doesn't leak out.



Sprinkle with colored sugars if desired.


Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, depending on size of cookies, until cookies are light golden brown. Let cool, and serve!


I made a bunch of small filled cookies and then made some unfilled sugar cookies topped with red and green sugars as well. (Be sure to re-roll any dough scraps to get the most out of your dough.)





Have you ever tried Lucky Leaf pie fillings? Have you ever used pie filling for something other than pie?

P.S. Lucky Leaf is having a contest if you're feeling creative!